Wednesday 13 November 2013

52 in 52 Race #10 - Taupo Part 1 - Tauhara with Total Sport!


I ran the second Tauhara Trail Run two years ago with it's previous Race Directors and found it a tough but enjoyable run.

This year I was rapt that Total Sport had taken over the running... firstly because they have very generously sponsored me into all of their events and secondly because they give you a beer and a sausage (or two) after the event and finally and perhaps most importantly, they run bloody good events!


The other great thing about this run was that it was the first with the '52-in-52-Mobile'. Taz at Kaz Graphic Dezign had worked out a great look and so during the week I had been over to Hamilton where the great team at Signcraftsmen worked their wonders and transformed the humble Subaru!
 
Raceday dawned fine but cool and after a quick jaunt down the road I arrived at the race venue on Broadlands Road just up from the Motor Racing Circuit.

Checked in and picked up my number '52'... Nicola Carter of Total Sports looks after me well!

Total Sports events have a great reputation and so I think the numbers exceeded what was expected and so after the queue to the portaloos finally abated the race started just a touch late. 

Photo by Nadege Crocker
Photo by Nadege Crocker
Aaron and Nicola delivered Race Briefings to the waiting runners down by the start line and the waiting runners in the Loo line! THen on to the line for the endorfin loadup of the start and we were off...

 


A quick burst up and through the farm fields brought us to the quarry next door. Through the quarry and onto the forestry roads and trails, so ups and downs, lots of twists and turns and eventually spat back out onto another forestry road. It was along this road section that my hammy gave me a kick again, slowing me to a near walk for about a kilometre. Slowly though it loosened off and I was able to run at close to full race pace with just the occasional jolt to remind me not to push it too hard. This pattern looks like it will be part of my running right through to the Xmas break!

This was one of the tough bits of the race... a long slow slog over about 2km climbing just over 100 vertical metres. The hard part was watching those ahead cruising back down the hill.

Of course I eventually made it and got to be the one encouraging those on their way up, I would have encouraged Paul Charteris, Race Director Supreme for the Tarawera Ultra, but I was blinded by his white shirtless body!

Back onto the trails for some lovely forest single trail, lots of ups and downs, with slightly more downs in this section... preparing us for the last climb and it is a beauty... about 160 vertical metres in 1.5km. Struggling up here but pushed as hard as I could with the knowledge of the downhill just ahead.
Photo provided by Photos4Sale

Once at the top, it's back onto the farm for a big downhill gallop where my big downhill legs and the fantastic grip of my Inov-8 X-Talons had me zooming past several who were less than comfortable zooming downhill.

Over the finish and a much shorter queue to the sausages than at Xterra - Yay!!!

A really cool day, met a few new people after the race and signed off on race number 10!


No comments:

Post a Comment